Philosophy, considering it as a pursuit of knowledge could be taken as an activity, that teach us to analyze, assess and reason. It is also a tool for acquiring and sharpening critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Philosophy of the self – how important it is?
Philosophy is a rule and borderline that could keep you on track driving all your actions. Philosophies are lifelong commitments aspiring to move much beyond simple self-improvement.
Does philosophy contribute to the development as a
- Our capacity to organize ideas and issues
- To deal with questions of value
- Extract what is essential from large quantities of information
- Facilitate the development of creative, innovative and inventive qualities in human being.
- Help in the cultivation of rational, reflective and critical mind
Why self-awareness is important?
Personality defects lead to unhappiness. Person who is dedicated to self-improvement or personal development needs to energetically seek to understand oneself. This is because only when one understands where one lacks, can he or she focus their efforts to improve.
Self-awareness is the ability that a person has to introspect and it includes gaining an understanding of and insight into one’s strengths, weaknesses, qualities, defects, ideas, thoughts, beliefs, ideals, responses, reactions, attitude, emotions and motivations.
Psychologists break self-awareness down into two different types, either public or private.
How to increase self-awareness ?
- Self-awareness can be attained through perceiving one’s own mistakes, observing others mistakes objectively and through some dreams.
- Whenever one becomes emotionally unstable, restless or upset one should become alert as on deeper introspection, it usually provides insight into some personality defect that has been triggered.
- We should be open to learning about ourselves through others and by this; we can objectively analyze our mistakes and find practical solutions to change for the better.
Understanding our personality is to understand the nature of our mind- both the conscious and sub-conscious mind.
The outcome would be, through this process one begins to gain greater self-awareness as to how one’s mind works and how it responds to various stimuli which is known as “Metacognition” – which means having mindfulness and understanding of one’s own thought processes.
Self-development relates to fetching conscious of one’s own body and mental state of being counting thoughts, actions, ideas, feelings and interactions with people around. Henceforth, self-awareness becomes the first step in overcoming negative emotions and reactions for which philosophy plays a pivotal role in grooming one’s personality and self-development at all dimensions.